Sunday, June 6, 2010

Take the day with you


My father used to tell me stories about his masters and his master's masters. I remember one about his master Choi, who used to go into the mountains in Korea to train. Inside of a cave he would do a ridiculous work out, thousands of punches and kicks. He mentioned to my dad that he used to punch the wall hundreds of times a day for several years. After years had passed he said that the wall had not changed much aside from the small, smooth groove. But now every time that he hit someone with that punch, they would also feel the wall of the the cave.

I don't recommend punching walls for training these days but there is more to the story than that. Every day that you are able to get up and train, you take a part of the day into your technique. The days I train and it's freezing cold I add the frost to my footwork. The days I train in the intense heat I add intensity to my lungs. The days I train in the blinding rain I add clarity to my attack. The days I train when I have no time I add dedication to my stance. The sun is in my weapons, the moon is in my Qi.

You may not see me training. You may not know the battles that I have fought to get here. But when the time comes you will feel the elements of every day that have been trained into my technique.

Never stop doing what you do. There will always be a thousand reasons not to train. For those of us that continue, there is a 100 percent chance of success.

7 comments:

reamiger said...

Great blog. lesson i will think about and try to push myself to do.

林奕廷 said...

不只BLOG內容很棒留言也很精采 XDDDD

怡君 said...

所有的資產,在不被諒解時,都成了負債....................................................................

佩春 said...

成熟,就是有能力適應生活中的模糊。.................................................................

Bravo said...

This deep comprehension of daily training is similar to mine.

Since I have also done regular training almost every day, it is truly wonderful to see other spiritual comrades in martial art practice. Your dad's master is wise.

It was nice to meet master Wu, Larry and you last Sunday in Hsin-Tien high school. Thank you for your warm and kind compliment for my martial art practice though there is still a long way for me to achieve excellence.

Please bring my greeting to master Wu and Larry.

Best wishes,

Bravo :)

于庭 said...

一個人的價值,應該看他貢獻了什麼,而不是他取得了什麼............................................................

泓發 said...

當一個人內心能容納兩樣相互衝突的東西,這個人便開始變得有價值了。............................................................