Life or Debate?

Firstly, excuse my absence. If you've followed me in my readings, online videos, films, workshops or translations, you know that I tend to take on dozens of projects at once. It helps me develop my art from multiple perspectives as well as gives me the needed skills to spread my art through multiple platforms. As I put one project to a close, it consumes my time, forcing me to let up on certain activities momentarily. The advantage of these "inconvenient" delays is that when it's time for me to share, there is an abundance.

On a personal note, I've just completed the Whip and Lash online training bagua program that has been met with great success. Though, many say you can't learn from an online program, the current training group and myself have done everything in our power to prove them wrong. It has, even in the early stages, exceeded my expectations. If you are interested please contact me via email at warriorfox@gmail.com.

I've also just completed my screenplay that is currently being marketed, began writing the sequel to Master Trey's Flawless Outlaws, started teaching at orphanages and rehabilitation centers and am currently working on my largest project which will allow me to...No. I won't ruin the surprise. 

Ok now to the point. One of the main reasons I keep myself busy is not only for development, but in order to keep myself from becoming distracted. I love people with a passion and have had great support from friends, still, my life and world is created by everyone I encounter. Something as simple as an online debate can take away the needed hours to train or create something new. After all, how can you think of your next objective when you are busy trying to prove your point in a forum? And how much joy can you have in the middle of an argument?

A debate, in my opinion, can be one of the most useless forms of communication: two people who have decided to have a discussion, never changing their mind no matter how valid the point of the other party. Why have the discussion at all? Communication should change the minds of all parties involved or it is truly a waste of time.

What is the most effective style? It saddens me that this is still a topic discussed in the martial arts world as it indicates we have yet to mature enough to see the bigger picture. Is a shotgun more effective than a handgun? Naturally it depends on the circumstances and who's wielding the weapons. On a bus a handgun is much easier to carry, faster and lighter, while a shotgun is harder to conceal, but arguably much more effective at close range. But the more important question is, who do you plan on shooting?

Are you a police officer? A soldier? An outlaw? Will your lifestyle eventually lead you to a day that you will be head to head with a master of another style? If not, this conversation and debate serves you very little benefit. All of the people using their art are well aware of its capabilities while debaters spend more time developing their skill of debate. It's not hard to find out if what you do works. There are many outlets and occupations you can find and prove its effectiveness within minutes. But even if you fail, it is not your art that has failed, but you.

Losing and failure are such positive aspects of our life. It's sad that we tend to shame it in our society, placing blame on those around us. "Yes I did eat Lord, for the woman you gave me made me eat." But a man who lets the fear of embarrassment stop his own development will achieve virtually nothing.

In addition we've also been conditioned to make a mockery of effort. We laugh at figure skaters who fall or the kid who lands on his head trying to do a flip. I'm not saying laughter in itself is bad, especially if you can laugh at your mistakes or have made similar mistakes. Yet, if you never had the courage to try a flip for yourself, you don't even have the courage to fail. And if you have tested yourself, why be bothered by those who attack your ideas because of their own unfulfilled ideas.

I'm talking about the man sitting on his couch, believing he has a right to speak on all things. You may have the freedom of speech, but you should really let the experienced individuals guide you into understanding. My four year old loves to try to teach me about life. It's cute and he has a strong opinion about it. But, of course, he's generally wrong.

Just because he is wrong doesn't mean that he is unintelligent. Just as a man who has studied martial arts for four years may be wrong, but he isn't stupid. He's speaking from his personal beliefs, experience and more than likely popular media. The problem is an adult with 4 years experience will argue with an adult of 40 years experience as if they are on the same level. This is the issue with forums and social media. Because even the man with 40 years of experience is nothing compared to the thousands of years of martial arts development. What could any of us truly know?

If you are lucky, you will be around for roughly 80 years on this planet. The only thing you will ever truly know is what you experience and everything else is faith. Does your faith lead you to inspire, help and encourage? Then your faith is good. Does your faith lead you to say hurtful things, harm people or demoralize? Then your faith is bad.

But isn't even better to live a life that will answer most of your questions? Don't keep debating how difficult it is to write a book, just go write it. Don't keep wondering how difficult life is in other countries, travel there. Take your art with you. Use your limited time to explore what has been made and what can still be done. You don't have to travel far cause even right down the street (you often avoid) awaits people, problems and purpose.

Not all of your experiences will be pleasant if you take risks, or they wouldn't be risks. But only when you are living life "hands-on" will you be able to finally stop wondering. Stop debating. You will be given the peace that comes along with your achievements. Your achievements will change how you see the world and how the world sees you. Then, speak to those who would want to hear from you.

Finally, smile at the four year old lovingly, remembering that you were once a four year old as well. Life is such a beautiful thing if you are living it, but it will remain a fantasy for those distracted by disagreement.


Comments

Unknown said…
BOOM!!! Back at it again with the wisdom. One must see, know, and, do. Don't have unfounded beliefs yet seek the truth for your self. Love the content. I am looking to get away from the distraction and dvote the time to productibe practices. This servers as a good reality check to not just sit in ponder but do and things will fall into being!

Popular posts from this blog

Take the day with you

Warfox Training Rooms and Missions

Finding my Qi: The Story of Robert Jay Arnold