Gifts and Opportunities


After finishing my book I had a good friend of mine ask me what I planned to do next. Of course I have developed dozens of plans on how to get to where I wanted to go. I've made plans regarding film, writing, translating, training, business, teaching, researching and on and on. I have laid out blueprints on how to more efficiently train everything from new weapon ideas to memorizing Chinese characters. It is my determination and diligence that has prepared me for great things to come. Yet no opportunity I've had in my life has arrived due to my own plans.

In fact all of the greatest things that have happened in my life were given to me at the proper time. Though I had made countless plans on how to utilize my skills, none of them actually worked out. I ended up going to Taiwan because China didn't accept me for work. I met my Bagua master because I was chasing a girl. I made my first movie because of an opportunity brought to my friend. Every amazing step that I have taken has not been because I was chasing my dream, but because my dream had found me.

The truth is that none of us are able to control what opportunities may come. In a world that nothing is for certain it is only vanity to imagine that we could pull our own strings. Still I continue to make plans about what I am going to do next because making plans for one opportunity can prepare you for another. I don't know what the next opportunity is going to be that comes my way, but by continually polishing the skills that I have, I can be sure to do well when the chance arises. The only thing I can control is that I will be better the next time you see me.

In very recent days I have come to learn chasing dreams will only drain you of your energy. It is not in chasing the dreams that we attain them, but by continually cherishing them that they are received. Therefore the only thing that we can do is what we are called to do today. The fastest way to get to your goal is to help others with their own. Our dream is a piece of the grand design that can be easily lost when we are trying to do things our way. When we are patient in our diligence the dust settles and we can see what we want more clearly.

My plans are to enjoy myself with the betterment of my skills. I have dozens of Chinese novels in my closet that need reading. I want to write Chinese more beautifully than my calligraphy teacher. I have new training equipment that needs to be design as well as possible modern Bagua weapons. I have new fight scenes that will show martial arts to the world with out compromising its true internal beauty. I am busy everyday with a project to finish every hour. Who has time for a plan?



I'm so blessed to be in the moment that I am in now. This chilling morning was the best workout of my life. We miss out on our life while were making plans. Accept what comes and always improve.




Comments

Jason said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jason said…
"What you want, wants you." I don't know who originated that quote but this post made me think of it.

Popular posts from this blog

Take the day with you

Warfox Training Rooms and Missions

The One Thing