Saturday, May 31, 2008

How I Got Started

Me and my two brothers were forced to start martial arts when we were four years old under the instruction of our father. I started with Taekwondo and as I grew up, branched into other styles: Hapkido, Aikido, Ninjitsu, Jeet kun do, Capoeria, etc. When I was about 19, I began studying Chinese to further enhance my knowledge of the arts. I then came to Taiwan to study the "roots" and fell in love with Bagua.

The complete Gao-style Bagua system is said to have 8,864 combat related movements, not including Pre-heaven techniques or weapons. Each of the 8 Gua parts have 8 movements. Each of these 8 movements have 6 applications. There are 23 basic steps of entry which, when incorporated with the above, add up 8,832 unique combinations. There remain 8 hidden moves with six applications each.

My quest is to find these movements through heavy training and research. If anyone knows what I'm talking about, hit me up.

1 comment:

Tien said...

Hi there,

Nice site. I've recently gotten interested in Bagua after learning a really small bit of Chenstyle taiji. I haven't had a martial arts training, and I'm years away from any sort of skill.

I am totally enjoying your site and videos on youtube.

Thanks for sharing them. I hope one day to learn the actual thing.

Cheers